Sunday, 10 June 2012

Mind Your Pees And Poos


Potty training for girls. Four words guaranteed to strike fear into a grown man’s heart.

What was it Bette Davis said? Buckle up, it’s going to a bumpy ride.

Okay, so I’m perhaps not exuding masculinity by quoting the star of Whatever Happened To Baby Jane, but there’s definitely something scarier about teaching a wee girl to wee than teaching a wee boy to wee.

With boys it’s easy peasy. It’s just a question of perfecting the aim. At least that’s what I vaguely recall telling my wee brother when I was a kid.

Now I have a three year old daughter who delights in updating me on her bathroom activities. The other day I took a call at work from her in between a flurry of deadly serious conversations: Hey daddy! I did a pee pee in the potty!

I said well done my darling and I’ll see you at teatime and thank your mother for putting you on the phone as well as on the potty. I had to bellow an instant laugh and get back to the grindstone.

Octonauts ... to the potty!
Because I’m at work during the day and Wife-features is at home with TWMBO I’m missing the actual training and in fact it seems the L plates are ready to come off. Days have gone by without accident, apparently resulting in the awarding of a gift. Who knew an Octonauts magazine could be so motivational?

To add to the general feeling of time slipping by not only has Toddler learned to pee and poo in a potty when she needs to, she can zip up a jacket, put on shoes with Velcro and express concepts like ‘tomorrow’ correctly.

And she goes to pre-school after the summer holidays!

My wee girl is growing up. (My bottom lip is wobbling.) How did this happen all of a sudden?

No comments:

Post a Comment