Friday, 16 December 2011

So This Is Christmas And What Have You Done?

That’s a good question. What have I done? More precisely, what have I done in the year since starting this Green Dad blog?

Here’s the first post.

I pretty much stand by it. I wouldn’t give up the messiness of parenthood for anything. Although one crucial point needs updating. Namely where I said I wasn’t a member of a political party.

Not long after starting the blog I realised we were in for an interesting Holyrood election (the polls back then suggested Labour would regain control from the SNP) and it was clear to me whoever took the big seat in Bute House I’d rather they had Greens whispering sweet nothings in their ear than Libdems or Tories. So along with a like minded pal I joined the party.

They say a week’s a long time in politics but blimey Einstein was on the money when he made his theory about time being relative. A week may be long but a year seems like a split second. How come?

All will become clear. At this stage all I can say is in the space of twelve months I’ve gone from not being in the party to heading for the heart of it and for the heart of Scottish politics. It involved a big decision recently with the blessing of Wife-features and soon she, I and Toddler Who Must Be Obeyed will be flitting.

We’ll be sad to leave behind the Brighton of the North - in particular the olde worlde charms like early closing on a Wednesday, the black and white weekly newspaper with no web presence and the determination among natives to give directions to tourists using romantic landmarks such as ‘the sewerage bridge’ and ‘the maggot’.

Seriously, the Sunniest Town in Scotland is a gem and I do feel very emotional about our departure. It’s a hell of a creative place. This year saw the passing of the great yet modest Ken Ramage, creator of the jazz festival which I hope is resurrected here. My old pal Swinton-features did some looney tunes stuff with a bingo hall and a filmhouse on wheels which a bunch of us then emulated and made permanent by creating Cinema Nairn.

And something tells me it will take an army of bouncers to prevent me from making a bee-line for the home baking tent at next year’s Nairn Show.

A lot’s happened in the past year - Toddler’s gone through more changes in personality than a well fed and watered Gremlin. But in a nice way. Being a dad is great and Nairn’s been a great place to be one.

And of course there’s the ‘allopman’ as TWMBO calls it. Our experimental patch of mud ten metres by ten metres will soon have a new keeper. Wife-features is planning to leave behind a map showing what we planted and where. (Non green-fingered readers should note rotation of crops is important.)

I’ll do my best to maintain the Green Dad blog and don’t forget I’m on Twitter: @greendadtwit.

Actually, looking back, maintaining the blog was one of my new year resolutions at the end of 2010.

As for the others?

Better public transport? I’ve lobbed by tuppenceworth into the Rail2014 consultation. Have you? The SNP government seem to think it’s a good idea for us to stand longer and pay more. I’ve asked for free wi-fi and more space for bikes on trains. I am a dreamer.

Battle the numpties? I’ve kept an eye out for sensible wind farm developments and written letters of support, challenging the NIMBYs to put forward an alternative rather than the usual hysteria and myths.

Recycling? Nice one Highland Council for introducing a blue bin.

Put on a jumper? Today I wore two as the temperature didn’t get above freezing.

Wrapping paper? I recently learned a friend uses pillow cases tied with ribbon when gifting at Christmas. Genius!

Blog? This is it and I’ll do my best to keep at it.

Now, let’s get ready to move. Packing up a house while keeping a toddler calm over Christmas? Piece of cake, I’m sure…
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment