Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Allotment Can Happen In Seven Years

7 years of marriage. What did I get Wife-features for our anniversary the other weekend? “An itch?” was one cheeky suggestion from a colleague.

I think I excelled myself with my gift: a box set of DVDs of The Good Life. That’s right. All 12,000 hours of Tom falling over pigs, Barbara making her own clothes, Jerry swigging gun and Margot looking repulsed by everything.

Actually, WF loves it. Apparently it’s a great way to get knitting and ironing done. Ah, that’s my girl.

We’re not quite Tom and Barbara (the Goods) but thankfully neither are we Jerry and Margot. I actually felt envious watching one episode where at the end of a hard day’s graft the Goods were slumped half sleeping in front of their secondhand wood-fuelled kitchen range. There is a tendency to think of the Green way of life as simple but actually as Tom and Barbara demonstrate it’s a lot of work if you want to be self-sufficient.

As for our allotment, WF has done a grand job (in between knitting and ironing) with some curly kale on the plot but everything else has been lifted and the soil dug over. Everything apart from the beetroot which we reckon must be baby beetroot as they don’t seem to be getting any bigger. I think the soil will get another turn and then we have some material to cover it over to await the spring. I’m already planning a fortnight’s holiday around April time for a frenzy of planting.

We’re still eating tatties from this year’s harvest and I put our onions to good use rediscovering my love of a cheese and onion sandwich. Ah, the tang and the crunch!

We’ve also invested in some cold frames. I say invested but in fact they were a bargain - we picked them up at Moray Waste Busters in Forres. We will probably go back there even if there’s nothing we need. It’s an amazing place with a great wee secondhand bookshop and a vast array of toys which kept Toddler occupied for ages.

Someone else’s junk could be just what you’re looking for…

No comments:

Post a Comment