Sunday, 6 February 2011

The Doors Of Perception

There’s an election coming up and I know how off-putting politics can be so I’ll do my best to keep this blog campaign-free in the coming weeks. Before I put the blinkers on, I would encourage you to take an interest in policy issues that matter to you and quiz the candidates.

And you must vote, otherwise you have no right to complain when things don’t go your way.

Regular readers will know how I feel about some of the childish MSPs we have who simply oppose what the SNP government has proposed without offering a detailed alternative. Thanks to their behaviour - Labour, Tories and Libdems - we’ve missed opportunities to save lives and improve health by setting a minimum price for alcohol and make the retailers with the broadest shoulders pay a fairer share of society’s taxes.

Lastly, perception is everything and I would encourage you to look beyond what you expect. The Greens are a case in point. A friend said to me recently they’d love to vote Green but on an issue such as education they want high quality teaching first and solar panels on the roof second. If you look at Green education policy solar panels aren’t mentioned; in fact they have interesting policies on all sorts of ‘non-green‘ issues.

It’s interesting to see some perceptions being confirmed. According to
this survey old geezers who vote Tory tend to be climate change deniers. Who’d have thought!

Speaking of old Tory geezers who deny climate change, did you see Christopher Monckton on BBC4 the other night? He’s a highly entertaining Nobel laureate and member of the house of lords. Oh, hang on. He’s highly entertaining but not the other stuff.

I had the pleasure (honestly, it was) of interviewing him a few times in my previous life. Not on the issue of climate change but on the important subject of jigsaw puzzles.

The Eternity puzzle to be precise. A great wheeze with an enigmatic end.

As for his latest incarnation as the anti-Al Gore, it’s right we should question the science but as one of the contributors to the programme explained, it’s a question of risk. If we do nothing we are risking massive disruption, damage and expense. If we do something to mitigate our carbon emission and adapt to climate change we are risking a few lifestyle changes. I know which I’d prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment